Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Does the Truth Set You Free? Reflections and Prayers form Oct 22 led by Heidi Jakoby

First Reflection: The perception of truth

By: Anita Atina

Fact exists, truth needs to be believed

My truth is important to me

I also understand that

Your truth is important, to you



My life is not just a single truth

But a village of many kinds of truth

The version you believe, may be different from mine

And both versions are true, to each of us



The duality of truth

Fights for resolution

And yet, coexists

Quietly, when it needs to



Funny concept this truth

Does fact indeed exist?

And do we really need,

To believe the truth?



Are both just empty shadows

We chase, to play our role

In a divine comedy

For an audience of one



Addition to this poem by: Don Tanner

But if the truth exists

And I a lie believe

I'd rather know the truth and hurt

Than live a lie and seithe



For if I think of four as truth

And two plus two is three

Then the truth is not within me

And I can never be set free.....



Prayer: Eternal God, you have been the hope and joy of many generations, and who in all ages has given men the power to seek you and in seeking you to find you, grant me, I pray you, a clearer vision of your truth, a greater faith in your power, and a more confident assurance of your love. Amen (John Baillie)

Second Reflection:Tell The Truth by Eric Clapton and Bobby Whitlock

Tell the truth. tell me who’s been fooling you?

Tell the truth. who’s been fooling who?


There you sit there, looking so cool

While the whole show is passing you by.

You better come to terms with your fellow men soon, cause...



The whole world is shaking now. can’t you feel it?

A new dawn is breaking now. can’t you see it?



Tell the truth. tell me who’s been fooling you

Tell the truth. who’s been fooling who?



It doesn’t matter just who you are,

Or where you’re going or been.

Open your eyes and look into your heart.



The whole world is shaking now. can’t you feel it?

A new dawn is breaking now. can’t you see it?

I said see it, yeah, can’t you see it?

Can’t you see it, yeah, can’t you see it?

I can see it, yeah.


Tell the truth. tell me who’s been fooling you

Tell the truth. who’s been fooling who?

Hear what I say, ’cause every word is true.

You know I wouldn’t tell you no lies.

Your time’s coming, gonna be soon, boy.

Chorus

Prayer: Forgive us, O Christ, for all our wanderings. Forgive us for not listening to your voice calling us into right ways. Forgive us for our complaining and our worrying that have made us lose trust in you. Forgive us for anger and selfishness and for greed. For all these we are sorry and pray that they may be taken from us. Amen (A. Murray Smith)

Third Reflection: John8:31-36 NRSV
31 Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, ‘If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples; 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.’ 33They answered him, ‘We are descendants of Abraham and have never been slaves to anyone. What do you mean by saying, “You will be made free”?’

34 Jesus answered them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin. 35The slave does not have a permanent place in the household; the son has a place there for ever. 36So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.

Prayer: Almighty God, gracious Lord, we than you that your Holy Spirit renews the church in every age. Pour out your Holy Spirit on your faithful people. Keep them steadfast in your word, protect and comfort them in times of trial, defend them against all enemies of the gospel, and bestow on the church your saving peace, through Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen (Bread for the Day 2008)


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment