Thursday, August 6, 2009

Come Together, Talk Together

compiled by Dustin G. Wright, led by Heidi Jakoby on August 9th, 2009

Opening prayer:

Father, we give thanks this day.

For this fragile planet earth,

its times and tides, its sunsets and seasons:

We give thanks this day.


For the joy of human life,

its wonders and surprises, its hopes and achievements:

We give thanks this day.

For our human community,

our common past and future hope,

our oneness transcending all separation,

our capacity to work for peace and justice
in the midst of hostility and oppression:

We give thanks this day.


For high hopes and noble causes, for faith without fanaticism,

for understanding of views not shared:

We give thanks this day.


For all who have labored and suffered for a fairer world,

who have lived so that others might live in dignity and freedom:

We give thanks this day.


For human liberty and sacred rites;
for opportunities to change and grow, to affirm and choose:
We give thanks this day.

We pray that we may live not by our fears but by our hopes,
not by our words but by our deeds. Amen.
- adopted from "we give thanks for this day," by O. Eugene Pickett

1st Reading: Ephesians 4:25 - 5:2
25What this adds up to, then, is this: no more lies, no more pretense. Tell your neighbor the truth. In Christ's body we're all connected to each other, after all. When you lie to others, you end up lying to yourself.

26-27
Go ahead and be angry. You do well to be angry—but don't use your anger as fuel for revenge. And don't stay angry. Don't go to bed angry. Don't give the Devil that kind of foothold in your life.

28Did you use to make ends meet by stealing? Well, no more! Get an honest job so that you can help others who can't work.

29Watch the way you talk. Let nothing foul or dirty come out of your mouth. Say only what helps, each word a gift.

30Don't grieve God. Don't break his heart. His Holy Spirit, moving and breathing in you, is the most intimate part of your life, making you fit for himself. Don't take such a gift for granted.

31-32Make a clean break with all cutting, backbiting, profane talk. Be gentle with one another, sensitive. Forgive one another as quickly and thoroughly as God in Christ forgave you.

1-2Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that.
- from The Message

Prayer:
Come together, talk together,
Let our minds be in harmony.
Common be our prayer,
Common be our end,
Common be our purpose,
Common be our deliberations,
Common be our desires,
United be our hearts,
United be our intentions,
Perfect be the union among us.
- Rgveda X.191.2-4

Second Reflection: dialogue from the movie
Dogma

Rufus: He still digs humanity, but it bothers Him to see the shit that gets carried out in His name - wars, bigotry, televangelism. But especially the factioning of all the religions. He said humanity took a good idea and, like always, built a belief structure on it.

Bethany: Having beliefs isn't good?

Rufus: I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier. Life should be malleable and progressive; working from idea to idea permits that. Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth; new ideas can't generate. Life becomes stagnant.

Prayer:
Lord, thank you for your unconditional love… you still ‘dig’ us no matter what we do. Help us learn how to live in community with one another… despite whatever differences we may have. Help us know when it is okay to be angry, but help us know when we must be gentle as well. Are both feelings possible at once? Most of all, help us to love one another as a reflection of Your love. Amen.

Third Reflection: lyrics from Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me, performed by George Michael & Elton John
I can't light no more of your darkness
All my pictures seem to fade to black and white
I'm growing tired and time stands still before me
Frozen here on the ladder of my life

Too late to save myself from falling
I took a chance and changed your way of life
But you misread my meaning when I met you
Closed the door and left me blinded by the light

Don't let the sun go down on me
Although I search myself, it's always someone else I see
I'd just allow a fragment of your life to wander free
But losing everything is like the sun going down on me

I can't find, oh the right romantic line
But see me once and see the way I feel
Don't discard me just because you think I mean you harm
But these cuts I have they need love to help them heal

Don't let the sun go down on me
Although I search myself, it's always someone else I see
I'd just allow a fragment of your life to wander free
But losing everything is like the sun going down on me

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment